Gain insights through qualitative and quantitative research
Just as a quality landscape survey helps an architect craft blueprints, business, marketing, government and non-profit leaders develop growth and improvement plans.
Good data facilitates good decisions. However, while 50 percent of large companies feel brand and market assessment research is highly valuable, only 20 percent have launched research projects in the last two years.  If you’re one of those firms, you may be missing out on data critical to improving performance.
You might be looking for market research to gain:
- Deeper understanding of customers’ needs
- Additional perspective of your marketplace position
- New industry issues or changes in your primary market
- Insights into the potential for new business lines
We’ll look at the problem, data and strategy holistically. A big-picture market research approach ensures the appropriate strategy and data collection tools for reaching your goals.
Market research questions
To get started, we’ll ask the following questions:
- What is your end goal?
- What qualitative or quantitative data would aid in substantiating the problem, opportunity or solution at hand?
- How will the research be utilized?
Market research planning
Based on the answers to those questions, we’ll develop a holistic research strategy customized to meet your goals.
Whether your research question would benefit most from a quantitative or qualitative methodology, we’ll identify and choose the tools that provide the answers you need.
Among the qualitative tools in our toolbox:
Whether you’re planning a process improvement, new product development, customer experience or service delivery, we can bring together focus groups to help you gain helpful insights. We’ve hosted focus groups in lab settings that allow you to observe the conversations in real time and participate in the findings. Or, we can prepare summary analyses with video clips to help your team develop a shared understanding of the findings.
If your audiences are geographically dispersed, time-pressed or reluctant to gather as a group for competitive reasons, we’ll conduct one-on-one interviews via phone or in-person to collect their insights. To share what we learn throughout your department, division or organization, we can provide audio clips from key interviews. Hearing directly from customers is an effective way to ensure the message gains traction in the organization.
Sometimes the real a-ha moments aren’t in what people say, but what they do. We conduct in-person site visits to observe interviewees in their day-to-day environments. Observing, listening and seeing directly how they interact with a product, process or organization offers invaluable insights for innovation and process improvements.
When service design involves customers, the process becomes a blend that is part market research and part innovation/process improvement. Because design thinking puts customers at the core of the design process, there is no separation between the listening, learning and iterating, making innovation more efficient and process improvement more effective.
If you need a larger data set by which to make decisions, have questions best answered by a diverse audience or need to reach a larger number of potential users, we offer the following quantitative research services:
- Surveys – Our market research team is experienced in survey development and participant recruitment for online surveys and polls. Likewise, our team can craft intercept surveys to efficiently gain feedback from key customer segments at tradeshows or other large events.
- Data mining – Data is available from a growing number of sources. Whether you want to identify where customers are talking about your brand or organization, what they’re saying about you or the amount of chatter your industry inspires we can help you identify data sources. From social media monitoring to website analytics, we can help you monitor user trends, sentiment and feedback.
- Data analysis and reporting - Our business analysts can also break your data out of spreadsheets. Whether descriptive or predictive, data mining and analysis can help you cull through mountains of data to make sense of what is already happening or shed light on emerging trends.
Our market research process: Get answers. Get results.
Across our design thinking practice, we use the same simple, replicable process.
- Listen and learn - We start by asking lots of questions to identify all of your research needs and goals.
- Plan - Once everyone has a shared understanding of research goals, we’ll develop the overall strategy and select the market research methodology. Next up—participants will be recruited as the survey instrument is built. Your team will approved the finalized plan before we start collecting any data.
- Act – We’ll launch the research project, engaging you at whatever level you select. (Some clients want to participate in all phases while others want a share-worthy report at the end. It all depends on your goals and availability.) After all data is collected, we’ll analyze the research for key findings and develop easy-to-use reports that can include recommendations for putting the findings to work.
Where appropriate, we’ll repeat the process to determine whether the changes are producing the intended outcomes. And, if they’re not, we’ll gain additional insights into further changes that need to be made.
Put our market research team to work for you
Our latest work showcases our research capabilities:
- Stakeholder interviews for a public library looking to develop a user-centered strategic plan.
- Online data and social media data mining to evaluate market demand for a new business division.
- Quantitative research for program evaluation of a non-profit organization’s grant-funded public health marketing campaign.
- In-person intercept surveys at industry trade shows for a FORTUNE® 500® brand.
- Stakeholder focus groups and one-on-one interviews to reveal an authentic brand, and online voting opportunities to drive selection of and public buy-in for that brand’s logo.
- Design, launch, analysis and results from a survey demonstrating thought leadership within an industry vertical.
Whether you are like the architect, awaiting a landscape survey to create the ideal blueprints, or you have yet to select the plot upon which you will build, we can help. Contact us for a complimentary, one-hour consultation to start discussing your research goals.