Yes, I’m back at work from my maternity leave and working at getting my head above water, so to speak.
Although I’m not completely caught up, I have made immense progress and I’d love to share a few of the things I have put in order to help facilitate this…
- Be as organized as possible — not just physically but primarily mentally
- Try to thoroughly figure out and discuss what may have gone on or what decisions were made while I was out that will affect my responsibilities
- Take it a project at a time (this has been hard for me because I tend to multi-task, which I’ve learned in the past is NOT the best way to always work — and has also been discussed by Ann in an earlier post)
- Deep breaths — sounds simple, but when I feel overwhelmed, this helps (oh the beauty of air, that is clean air, to be exact!)
- Work where I feel comfortable — and thankfully we have an open workspace established in the office, so on the couch by the fireplace has been the place the last few days!
- And, the one that I think has truly helped me stay focused and on track is listening to music. Now I tend to go for the electronica/trance or dubstep style; but I also at times need classical — just depends on my mood and the project, to be honest! The well-paced, defining beats just keep my head in the game. Oh and I listen to it quite loud — that’s the key!!!
Well, I’m glad to be back and look forward to the many, many wonderful experiences I’ll be a part of and share with my team!